Whey protein is the collection of globular proteins which are isolated from whey, the by-product formed during the cheese making process. Whey protein is popular with athletes such as bodybuilders as it is very high in protein and contains all the essential amino acids needed for your daily diet and helps to keep energy levels up. Below are five top reasons to take whey protein to assist your gym routine and build a well toned physique.
- Whey protein contains very high levels of BCAAs also known as branched chain amino acids. During training, your body can breakdown your muscles to get BCAAs to create energy to power your workout. This means that although you will have more energy, this energy will be coming directly from your muscles as part of the metabolism process. Whey protein helps you to avoid this pitfall by supplying your body with higher levels of BCAAs during and after your work out.
- The BCAAS in whey protein are vital for athletes as these amino acids are metabolised in the muscle instead of in the liver. This means that after taking a whey protein supplement these amino acids get to work quickly by supplying energy to the muscles during your training and they help to repair and rebuild muscles after your training session.
- Whey protein can help reduce the time you may have to take off from your training schedule due to feeling run down or ill. Whey protein increases the levels of glutathione which is an anti-oxidant that helps to boost your immune system. A strong immune system means that you can perform at your best during your training sessions and helps you avoid time out of your scheduled training routine due to feeling unwell. Incidentally, glutathione has also been linked to anti-aging and can encourage bone growth, which are added benefits of taking whey protein.
- Maintaining a healthy weight can have a huge range of benefits including helping to prevent health problems such as diabetes and heart disease. If you work out regularly then chances are your weight is already stable but if you want to lose a few extra pounds then taking whey protein can help. Protein requires more energy from the body to digest than other foods which means just digesting the food can burn calories. As whey is high in protein it also helps to suppress your appetite as protein digests slowly, making you feel fuller for longer.
- Whey protein is a natural product which means most people don’t experience any side effects when taking it correctly. As whey protein is devised from milk it may have negative side effects for anyone with a dairy intolerance. As with all supplements, sticking to the recommended dosage and speaking to your doctor before taking any supplements ensures that you will minimise the risk of any side effects.
Experience the benefits of whey protein yourself by trying one of the many supplements in the whey protein range at Maximum Sports Nutrition.