Is whey protein good for you; Does it work? For those of us who use Whey protein we usually have some sort of health benefit in mind. Protein is often used by Bodybuilders to build muscle or dieters lose weight. It has also increased in popularity as a food supplement to improve one’s health. With all that in mind can we answer the question: does it really work for building mass on bodybuilders losing weight for those that are wanting to shed a few pounds, and general health?
First let’s talk about Muscle- Building: Does it Work?
A good quality Whey protein is built up of all the amino acids our body requires to build muscle tissue. One of the major points of using Whey Protein is its BV (Biological Value) which means the rate that it can be ingested into our system. A good quality Whey protein has quality and quantity when it comes to amino acids
After your workout Whey protein is essential along with some simple sugars (carbohydrates) as it supplies all the amino acids we need to repair and build our muscle. We recommend you take a shake on board within an hour after your training. Whey protein and some source of Carb (Ripe Banana) is perfect to provide fuel and amino acids that our body can quickly absorb hence feeding the muscle hence recovery and growth.
With the right mind set, training regime and a good planned diet and the use of some supplements i.e. Whey protein you should each your goals that you have set for yourself.
- Whey protein is used at crucial stages of your day instead of other sources of protein because of its absorption rate (BV)
- Make sure you choose a good quality protein
- Take Whey protein and carbs within 1 hour after Training
Secondly losing weight: Will Protein help you lose weight?
Whey protein is known for being a low calorie protein source for those of us trying to lose weight. It’s not just a case of drinking Whey protein and we will start losing weight. Whey Protein can be a great replacement for high calorie foods such as food that contain high saturated fats or those that have added sweeteners and fructose of which will encourage storage of fat due to insulin levels.
To put it simply if you eat foods that have a high GI (Glycaemic Index) your blood sugar will rise causing a high release in insulin. Whilst in this period your body cannot use fat as fuel.
Look at it this way! Insulin turns off the fat burning switch and turns on the fat storage switch! So rather than start your day with a high calorie breakfast cereal or a full English. Try a Whey protein smoothie which will probably reduce a ton of calories from your diet and also keep your blood sugars at a good level. When using Whey for a weight loss aid its always best to have a good balanced low calorie diet and do some sort of excersise.
- Choose a low carb quality Whey protein.
- Stay away from sugary drinks and food
- Use Whey protein as a meal replacement with some low GI Carbohydrate Oat Cakes possibly.
- If you like fizzy drinks try Coke Zero it won’t send your insulin levels through the roof
Health: does Whey protein work?
Whey protein is not only for Fitness fanatics and Bodybuilders. The normal Joe now realizes and understands the health benefits of using Whey protein. Quality Whey proteins contain a ton of healthy stuff including many nutrients, and enzymes and other biological components that can contribute to a good overall healthy you! It can also help prevent some cancers, food allergies and asthma. Whey protein contains immunoglobulin’s which are basically antibodies and other immune components for us to maintain a healthy body and life style whey protein can also support our digestive system. It can also increase our levels of this super antioxidant of our body called Gluthianone. When we exercise or put any strain on our central nervous system it can deplete our Gluthanone levels thus putting us at more risk of illness. Whey protein can help bring these glutathione levels back into the body. Glutathione does have some anti-aging properties too.
So on an ending note all this hype lately that Whey protein can be bad for you lets not forget the use of Whey in health and nutrition has been used and known for hundreds of years it isn’t just some new-fangled thing its tried and tested, and the results speak for themselves.
Just a couple of my favourites that I think cut through the bullshit and do exactly what it says on the tin!
- Reflex Instant Whey this was always and still would be my number 1 choice no gimmicks no fancy marketing totally transparent and does exactly what it says on the tin! http://www.maximumsports-nutrition.com/protein-powders/whey-protein/reflex-instant-whey-2-27kg
- Kinetica This brand comes from a long standing background of farmers that use only quality ingredients there flavourings are second to none all there protein comes from Irish grass fed cows. Grass fed protein is renowned for its health benefits, a lot of people are also concerned about the amount of pesticides and harmful chemical in their food this is why organic is so popular, We no longer want foods laden with pesticides and that contain very little nutrients. Vat free at the moment too! http://www.maximumsports-nutrition.com/protein-powders/whey-protein/kinetica-whey-protein-2-27kg